Little bit of a gap since my last post… but a few of my friends have asked me to share this recipe so here goes…
This is my go-to dish wherever I am in the world as it is so easy to make.
I love lentils for so many reasons.
They are very versatile and can be used with a variety of different spice combinations. They are a complete protein .
They are non-perishable and you can take them with you anywhere.
They remind me of my childhood!
In Morocco, lentils is not a side dish but a meal in of as itself. Mostly, we dip bread into it but I like to eat it with a drizzle of olive oil with a side of green vegetables or potatoes. Thinking back, I have beautiful memories of my mum bringing me lentils in bed when I was too ill to do anything. It’s a dish that will always be close to my heart.
I could eat lentils all day everyday! And sometimes I do!
I actually tend to cook huge batches of this and leave it in the fridge to add to my salads during the week.
If you are in a rush, you can speed up this recipe by putting the ingredients in a pressure cooker which will half the time of the recipe from 20 minutes to 10 minutes
-Approx 2 cups Dried Brown Lentils
– 1 peeled tomato
– 1 teaspoon of paprika
– 1 teaspoon of curcumin
– 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
– 1 spoon of salt
– 1 teaspoon of cumin
– 2 teaspoons of olive oil
– Finely chopped coriander (optional)
– Chopped Carrots (optional)
– Chopped Onions (optional)
- Cover lentils in hot water and boil for about 10 minutes until they start getting soft
- Add all ingredients except the teaspoon of cumin into the pan
- Let it simmer until most of the water evaporates and lentils have a stew consistency, this should be around another 10 minutes.
- Check if the lentils are cooked by taking one lentil and squeezing it. You may need to add water if the consistency is not right.
- Add the cumin last . Cumin is a very delicate spice as it burns quite easily so it is always best if you add it at the end of your cooking process
- If you have excess liquid , drain some out slowly out the pan.
- Once cooked and drained (if necessary), serve add a salad of your choice to your plate.
Hope you enjoy the dish of my people… Till next time, my healthybackpackers!